Friday, October 10, 2014

Add Live Tiles to Start Menu? Pin it!

As a Windows 8 user, one of the first things I wanted to do with the Start Menu+ on Windows 10 was to add some Windows Store Apps with Live Tiles I cared about.

In Windows 8 everything went to the Start Screen, so it was a simple matter of dragging the ones I wanted to see to the left. Windows 8.1 changed up this game a little by putting the world down below the fold, but still I saw them all on a screen, and I had trained myself on Windows 8 so I never really used that in 8.1.

So, with that background I ignored their pin-it tool tip and tried over and over to find a window that would list all the apps that I could drag into the Start Menu. I thought it would be by right-clicking the Windows icon for the Start Menu and choosing properties. Then I figured it would be from Properties on the Task Bar. No dice.

I had to be told again. Reading on the How-To pages for the Windows Technical Preview I saw the Love it? Pin it section. So I go to All Apps in the start menu and right-click the ones I want in the live tile area. Simple. It doesn't give me the preview I was looking so hard for and use to from Windows 8, but if I don't like how it looks I can simply unpin it by right clicking it in the live tile. Easy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment