Friday, October 3, 2014

Installing into VirtualBox

Since the Technical Preview is bleeding edge, they recommend you install to a spare computer. I don't have a spare computer handy at my desk but I do have Oracle VirtualBox. My first shot at installing failed with an error. I had chosen type: Microsoft Windows Version: Other Windows (64-bit) since Windows 10 is not on the list.

Searching around I found an article on betanews by Wayne Williams titled "How to install Windows 10 Technical Preview on Oracle VirtualBox" that gave some great tips on settings to try to get it going. For me it was as simple as switching the VM version to Windows 8.1 (64 bit). Worked fine with or without dynamic sizing.

I gave it 4GB of ram and 25GB of dynamic disk, but the performance isn't great. My other windows versions run smoother. I'm OK with it. It's a preview, just for testing, and they did suggest using physical hardware. I'm just happy to have it up and going to start trying out and testing against.

No comments:

Post a Comment