Friday, October 3, 2014

Switching the Start menu to the Start screen

One of the things that has been touted in Windows 10 is the concept of having a desktop mode where a keyboard and mouse are available and a tablet mode where they are not. They call this switching idea continuum. It looks pretty slick to me. It looks like a great feature on something like a Surface tablet.

I wanted to do the same thing on my Virtual Machine (VM) instance of Windows 10 Technical Preview, but I failed to find how to virtually disconnect the keyboard and mouse from the VM instance. Instead I found a post by Paul Thurrott on his Supersite for Windows about how to swap between the Start Menu and Start Screen. I should have been able to figure this one out on my own. I was already looking around for how to personalize what tiles are on the Start Menu. I was within a click or two of this setting a couple of times.

This isn't all that continuum does, but it's a step in the right direction and it gives me a way to have the Start Screen back on Windows 10 if I decide I don't really want a Start Menu. Nice!

Now to figure out how to go the rest of the way or otherwise manually invoke continuum in the VM.

No comments:

Post a Comment